Regulations of the Pan-European photography contest for students “Discover Europe”
1. The Organiser of the contest (later referred to as “Contest” or “Discover Europe” is ESN Poland Association with its office located at Al. Reymonta 12A, 01-842 Warsaw, entered in register of associations, other social and professional organizations, foundations and independent healthcare institutions of the National Court Register run by the District Court for the Capital City of Warsaw, XII Commercial Division under the KRS number: 0000246363, REGON: 140421760, Tax Identification Number: 521-337-63-70 (hereinafter the "Organiser").
2. The co-organiser of the Contest is the Foundation for the Development of the Education System - the National Agency for the Lifelong Learning Program with its headquarters at Aleje Jerozolimskie 142A, 02-305 Warsaw, entered in register of associations, other social and professional organizations, foundations and independent healthcare institutions run by the District Court for the capital city of Warsaw, XII Commercial Division under the KRS number: 0000024777, REGON: 010393032, Tax Identification Number: 526-100-06-45 (hereinafter: "Co-organiser").
3. The founders of the awards in the Contest are:
Whenever the term "Founder" appears in the Regulations, it will apply to all Founders together.
3. These regulations (hereinafter "Regulations") specify the conditions of the Contest, which the Participant accepts at the time of joining the Competition.
4. The Organiser supervises the regularity and course of Discover Europe, provides information about it and examines complaints in order to properly conduct the Contest. The Organiser may appoint Coordinators (hereinafter: Coordinator) at the local or central level of the Contest.
5. The aim of the Contest is cultural integration of students from Poland and abroad, promotion of mobility, presentation of students' creativity in the field of photography art, dissemination of the photography idea and development of creativity among students.
Conditions of participation
1. Only a natural person with legal capacity who has accepted these Regulations and have the status of a student at a Polish university within the confines of full-time, part-time, evening, post-graduate and doctoral studies (including students staying at the university as part of the exchange) or the status of an Erasmus+ apprentice may participate in the Contest.
2. The Participant declares that:
a. is an adult natural person with full legal capacity and voluntarily joins the Contest;
b. read the content of these Regulations and fully accepts it;
c. undertakes to comply with the provisions of the Regulations;
d. has the status of a student at a Polish university or participates or participated in Erasmus+ internship;
e. consents to the processing of personal data in the way described in § 9;
f. has full copyrights and property rights to the photos reported;
3. Joining the Contest takes place electronically in the way described in § 4.
4. Each natural person can submit their work in a single edition of the Contest only once.
5. Participants of the Contest can not be employees of the Founder, affiliated companies, employees of other entities associated with, as well as members of their immediate family. Moreover, Local Coordinators, Coordinator of the central stage of the Contest who are appointed by the Organiser and members of the Jury may not be the Participants of the Contest at any of its stages.
Categories of the Contest
1. The subject of the Competition are photographic works (hereinafter referred to as "Works" or "Photographs"), made in any technique in three categories:
Discover People - works presenting the diverse identity and image of European citizens;
Discover Nature: Through Green Lenses - photographs depicting the beauty of nature of the European continent and promoting awareness and pursuit of global environmental sustainability through photography;
Discover Architecture - pictures of unique places, buildings, monuments or interiors.
2. The Participant decides in which categories he or she wants to participate. Each participant has the right to submit no more than six photos in total, in any configuration of the categories.
3. The organisers reserve the right to create additional categories of the Contest.
Submission of Contest Works
1. The photographs must be submitted online via the official website of the Contest (www.discovereurope.esn.pl) from March 1st to March 31st 2020.
2. The Participants register by creating an account on the official website and filling in an application form. Only a registered user can submit photographs. The photographs may be taken with the use of cameras or other electronic devices. Submitted Works must meet the following criteria:
a. Size: max. 8MB
b. Color: RGB or Grayscale
c. Format: JPEG or PNG (with highest quality)
3. In the “DIscover Nature: Through Green Lenses” category, in additional topics “Threats to the Environment and Climate”; “Proudly Reporting: Pro-Environmental Efforts”; “Green Mile: Sustainable Mobility Ideas” the Works cannot be edited in any way.
Evaluation of Contest's Works
1. Submitted Contest Works, at the end of each stage, will be voted on and evaluated by the Jury by means of deliberations. The Jury members will be appointed by the Organiser.
2. The Jury will evaluate all Contest Works according to the following criteria:
a. Compliance of the Contest Work with the subject;
b. Artistic value of the Contest Work;
c. Technical value of the Photograph;
d. Originality of approach to the subject;
3. The decisions made by the Jury are final and legally binding for all Contest Participants.
Results of Contest
1. Authors of the best 10 photos from categories “Discover People” and “Discover Architecture”, as well as authors of the best 3 photos and the winners of 6 special prizes in category “Discover Nature: Through Green Lenses” will be invited to the Final Gala, where the official announcement of the results will be held and the winners will be awarded.
2. The Final Gala will be held in Warsaw (hereinafter: "Final Gala"). The participants will be informed about the details related to the Gala via e-mail by sending a message to the e-mail address provided at registration until 1st of May 2020.
3. In addition, information about the finalists and winners of Discover Europe will be announced/ made public by posting photos along with the name of the author on the websites and social media channels of the Organiser and/or the Founders.
1. The prizes awarded in the competition are:
a. Vouchers for photography courses, organised by Akademia Fotografii, worth 400PLN,
b. Photography books,
c. Vouchers for a discount for a purchase of a camera or/and lens on the website fotoforma.pl or in Fotoforma store, ul. Andersa 21, Warsaw,
d. Natural cosmetics.
2. In the “Discover Nature: through Green Lenses” category there will be additional rewards for the winners, that will be provided by Fotoferia.pl website.
3. Winners are not entitled to exchange prizes for cash or another type of prize. The winner may renounce the prize, however in return he or she is not entitled to cash equivalent or any other award.
3. The Participants will be awarded with the granted prizes during the Discover Europe Final Gala in Warsaw on May 9th 2020.
4. In case of an absence of the laureate at the Gala, the Organiser will contact him or her to determine the way of transferring the prize.
5. The right of ownership of the prizes goes directly from the Founder to the winner of the Competition.
6. The Organiser and Co-Organiser do not award prizes on their own behalf but only act as mediators in issuing prizes awarded and financed by the Founder.
Responsibilities of the Organisers
1. The Organiser and Co-Organiser are not responsible for the accuracy and truthfulness of Contest Participants’ data, including the inability to transfer prizes for reasons associated with the Participant, particularly if they did not provide a real correspondence address or the given data is incomplete or out of date.
2. The Organiser reserves the right to exclude Participants, whose activities are contrary to the law or the Regulations, in particular the Participants who:
a. post content that does not comply with applicable law or the Regulations (in particular containing offensive content, both in the textual and graphic layer)
b. provide false personal data
c. interfere in the mechanism of the Contest’s operation
d. create fictitious/fake accounts on the Discover Europe website in order to avoid age verification or to send more applications than provided for in the Regulations
e. are under the age of 18 or do not have the status of a student or Erasmus+ program Participant.
Processing of personal data
1. The administrator of personal data provided during registration at www.discovereurope.esn.pl is the ESN Poland Association with its registered office in Warsaw, al. Reymonta 12A, 01-842 Warsaw, entered into the Register of Entrepreneurs of the National Court Register run by the District Court for the Capital City of Warsaw, XII Commercial Department under NCR (KRS) number: 0000246363, REGON: 140421760, Tax ID (NIP): 5213376370.
2. Providing personal data is necessary for the Participant to enter the Contest. At the time of deleting the User’s data, he or she loses the opportunity to participate in the Contest.
3. Personal data of the Contest Participants will be processed by the Organiser, Co-Organiser and Founders in order to carry out the activities necessary for the proper conduct of the Contest, in particular for the purposes of:
a. communication with the Participants
b. announcing the results of the Contest
c. awarding the winners of the Contest
d. promoting Discover Europe in the future
e. marking Participant’s Work with their first and last name
f. placing winning Works, with author’s first and last name, on calendars for year 2021 as well as academic planners for year 2020/2021, printed by the Co-organiser.
g. marketing activities, based on Participant’s consent (if given)
h. archiving all documentation regarding organising the Contest
i. keeping statistics.
4. As part of the Contest, personal data may be transferred to other entities, in particular:
b. subjects providing postal or courier services
c. supporting subjects, in particular providers of external systems supporting Organiser’s activity
5. All questions should be directed to email address email@example.com. Data will be processed only in order to answer the inquiry, in accordance to the rule which states, that processing data is legal if it is necessary in order to fulfill the agreement or before it is made.
6. Data will be processed in order to conduct the Competition. In other cases, personal data will be only processed based on a given consent, in scope and purpose stated in it’s contents. In particular it includes processing data for marketing purposes.
7. Personal data will be processed for a period necessary to realize indicated goals, in particular until the end of the Competition.
8. In terms of deleting and editing personal data the following rules apply:
a. The right to rectify data - in situations when the data is wrong, not true, incomplete, etc.
b. The right to be forgotten - the right to demand deleting personal data
c. The right to limit processing
d. The right to access the data
e. The right to transfer the data
f. The right to object
g. The right to withdraw consent
9. We inform, that in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC, the consent may be withdrawn at any time by sending an email on address firstname.lastname@example.org using email address provided with the consent. Withdrawing the consent has no effect on legal compliance of data processing done based on the consent before its withdrawal. The applications are not profiled. Data will not be transferred outside the European Economic Area or shared with any international organisation.
1. The Participant declares that they have exclusive and unlimited personal and property copyrights to the Work. the Participant ensures, that the Photography is not encumbered with third party’s rights and claims. In case of third party’s claims in this respect the Participant declares, that they are solely responsible towards for those persons.
2. Submission of photos to The Competition is synonymous with giving the Organiser consent to use the Photographs indefinitely based on a non-exclusive license, with no territorial restrictions, in the form of printing, audio, video and in the internet in all activities and publications connected with the Competition.
a. The Participant declares, that they possess copyrights to the Photographs referred to above and as a holder of those rights is authorised to grant a licence.
b. The Participant declares, that in case of Photographs including images of natural persons ha has a permission of those persons to use the image of them in a full scope covered by license and declares, that they fulfilled all the obligations arising from the provisions on the protection of personal data.
c. The Participant declares, that using the Photographs by the Organiser will not violate the rights of third parties.
d. The licence includes the right the Photographies as a whole or in part as well as subsidiary rights, in particular the right to make necessary changes in the Photographs (cropping, retouching).
e. The participant grants to the Organiser, free of charge, a non-exclusive license to use the Photographs in order to publish them in a calendar 2021 and an academic planner 2020/2021 prepared by the Co-organiser, posting an information about Competition results on Organiser’s website and social media, printing the Photographs and presenting them during the Final Gala and all other publications related to promoting the Competition and the Organiser.
f. The licence will be granted indefinitely. The duration of the licence begins to run starting from the day of submitting the Photographs to the Competition
g. The license entitles the Organiser to use the Photographs on the following fields of exploitation: (a) storing and reproducing, producing copies of the Photographs with a specific technique, including printing, reprographic, magnetic recording and digital techniques. (b) Public performance, display, projecting, putting on a website, recapturing, broadcasting and rebroadcasting, and making the Photograph publicly available.
h. In the event of claims by third parties against the Organizer concerning copyright infringement in relation to the Photographs or image rights in relation with the use of the Photograph by the Organiser in accordance with the license, the Participant will be obliged to immediately join the case on the defendant’s party and release the Organiser from any claims and responsibility and cover the cost of any related proceedings.
3. The Organiser, Co-organiser and Founders reserve the right to present all or chosen Works during the Competition, including the Final Gala, and the right to reproduce and publish the Works using any technique with no compensation to the authors
4. The winners also undertake not to use personal copyright to the Works listed above, in particular the right to mark the Work with a name, surname or nickname, the right to integrity of the Work and the right to author’s supervision.
Complaints and reports of violations
1. Any complaints connected with functioning of the Contest or reports concerning violation of the Regulations should be reported to the Organiser by e-mail send to the following address: email@example.com or in writing to the address of the Organiser, no later than within 14 days after the end of the Contest.
2. A complaint or report of violations should include the name, surname and exact address of the Contest Participant, the preferred method of contact and a detailed description of the event being the subject of the complaint or report.
3. Complaints and reports will be reviewed within 14 days from the day of receiving them by the Organiser.
4. The Participant will be notified of the Organiser's decision by e-mail send to the address from which the complaint was sent or in writing to the indicated correspondence address.
1. The Regulations become operative on the day the Contest starts.
2. The Contest is carried out via website - www.discovereurope.esn.pl from March 1st to May 9th, 2020.
3. In matters, which are not covered by those Regulations, the provisions of the Civil Code are applied.
4. These Contest Regulations are available to Participants on the www.discovereurope.esn.pl website and in the Organiser's office.